Sunday 22 August 2021

Flashback 1992

Urbanized ft Silvano - Helpless [Maxi Records]

Heading back 29 years revisiting a track that is every bit as effective on the right floor now as it was back in the day. I'm clear about when I first heard this; Pete Tong had taken over the Friday evening slot from Jeff Young on Radio 1; his weekly show packed with upfront tunes that straddled virtually the full spectrum of this thing we call house. Between his show and DJ mag I would then head to the record store armed with my wish list for the coming weeks. "Helpless" was one of those tracks I first heard on his "Essential Selection" and I was hooked from the first few bars of hearing the Kenlou Remix as Louie Vega and Kenny Dope nailed it and then some. I can't believe there are too many house heads who haven't played or danced to this many times over the last few decades. Considering the pedigree of everyone involved (Urbanized are another alias of John Ciafone & Lem Springsteen aka Mood II Swing), it should come as no surprise just how long "Helpless" has endured.



No comments:

Post a Comment